Objects 2010357 & 2011160
Title: The Diana Cargo
''The Diana'' was owned by Palmer and Co. a powerful Calcutta ship owner and was licensed by the English East India Company to sail from Calcutta or Madras to Canton, carrying cotton and of course, opium, which was extremely lucrative. The ship would then return to India from China, laden with silks, tea, preserved fruits and thousands of pieces of beautiful blue and white porcelain.
Unfortunately The Diana was on one of these voyages when, on the 14th of March 1817, she hit some rocks off the Straits of Malacca and sank. The wreck was identified and recovered in 1994 by Dorian Ball of Malaysian Historical Salvors. Christie's auctioned the porcelain cargo in Amsterdam in March 1995.
Publisher: Christie's Amsterdam B.V. 1995
Details: Illustrated soft cover with all colour illustrations.
Pages: 145 pp.
ISBN 10: -
Dimensions: 268 mm (10 inch) x 210 mm (8 inch) x 8 mm (0.3 inch).
(copyright in bibliographic data and cover images is held by the publisher or by their respective licensors: all rights reserved.)